Friday, October 1, 2010

Style Inspiration: The Exorcist

I think that when someone mentions The Exorcist, fashion is probably the last thing that comes to mind.  But last night I had the opportunity to watch The Exorcist on the big screen for the first time and my entire view of it changed.  Usually I cover my eyes throughout most of the movie, it is the only film that has ever been able to absolutely terrify me.  But this time, as I sat in a dark theater clutching JB's hand, there were certain times I had to keep my eyes uncovered...for the clothes.  At least Ellen Burstyn's clothes.

The 70s were kind of a mess.  I don't always find the wild prints and polyester to be flattering or attractive in the least bit, and home decor? Forget it, but something about the way Burstyn managed to pull together the iconic 70s style really got me.  Playing the mother of a possessed girl would leave anyone a total wreck, but Burstyn manages to look effortlessly chic the entire time, even when she looks as though she is about to come apart at the seams.  Heavy wool peacoats, chic button up dresses, scarves, oversized sunglasses, wide leg trousers, and heavy platforms are pure perfection for the fall months in DC.

I know that this fall I'll be on the lookout to steal some of the chic style from The Exorcist.*




*Ya know, minus the whole demonic possession thing.

No comments: