Monday, October 11, 2010

Hipster Must-See: A Must-Watch List of Ridiculous Movies

I once dated this lovely boy.  He was nice, fun, had a great job, and then, one night, we were at the bar and Tommy was on.  And he had no idea what it was, not just that he had never seen it, he didn't know that it existed.  Well, I let that one slide, but when I later found out that he had never seen The Labyrinth, I decided that it was unacceptable, and we broke up.*

So in honour of that, I've decided to list my "Top 10 Must-Watch" list of movies.  Most of these are absolutely ridiculous, but they are fun, memorable, and I quote them all the time.



10..Tommy- I love this rock-opera.  I've blogged about it before.  I'm obsessed with Ann-Margaret, Roger Daltrey's hair, and, of course, the soundtrack.

9.  Purple Rain.  Prince has his own movie, I love Prince, therefore, his movie must make the list.

8.  The Legend of Billie Jean.  My parents kept trying to convince me to watch this movie, but being their child, I kept resisting.  When I finally watched it I understood the awesomeness, and bonus points, it also stars a young Christian Slater.

7.  The Labyrinth.  This is another one of my favourite movies held over from childhood.  Jim Henson is so over the top and ridiculous, and besides, Bowie is just so sexy in it.

6..Rocky Horror Picture Show. I went through a period of time in high-school where me and my girl friends watched this movie on repeat.  I've seen it in theaters, danced on stage to the time warp, and will only ever see Tim Curry as Dr. Frankenfurter (aside from his role in Fern Gully, but that's another story).

5. Willow.  Another one of my favourite topics.  It's fantasy, horrible CGI, and Val Kilmer.  How could it not make the list?

4. Pump Up the Volume.  You can put a young Christian Slater in any movie and I'll probably watch it.  Put him in a movie as a sexy-rebellious high schooler and I'm sold.  Also, the soundtrack to this movie is amazing.

3. The Goonies.  I grew up watching this movie on USA/TBS/ABC/etc. every weekend when I was a kid.  When I went to school in Canada, I met a slew of people that had never even seen it.  That simply won't do, if you haven't seen The Goonies, I'll probably pretend you don't exist.

2. The Warriors.  Walter Hill's gang epic is being remade in 2011.  I'm excited enough to see it, but it won't compare to the original.

1. Streets of Fire.  This movie rounds out the list of must-see ridiculous movies.  It stars Diane Lane and Willem Defoe when they were sprightly young things.  And it's sort of a musical. Bonus!


*We didn't break up because he hadn't seen those movies, I'm just being dramatic.

No comments: