Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hipster Must-Read: Blindness

I am usually not a fan of fiction, and when I pick up fiction it usually tends to be ridiculous and easy reads books by Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis.  But, lately, I've promised a certain someone that I would try to read more fiction, and along with that, I'm trying to pick fiction that has been actually recognized for it's greatness.

So, I picked up a copy of Jose Saramago's Blindness.  The premise is pretty simple, an entire community becomes stricken with an epidemic of blindness, save for one very lucky woman who is left with her vision.  The story explores the human condition as society falls into ruin and we are exposed to the worst of people when they are left to become helpless.

Saramago strays from the typical literary path in his writing.  He has a structure and style unlike any I've seen in a book, and you never even learn the name of the characters.

In 2008, it was made into a film starring Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, and Gael Garcia Bernal.  But I definitely recommend reading the book before watching the movie if you can.  I felt as though the screen adaptation was rather accurate, but my only problem was that my imagination worked less than it could've and I just ended up picturing the actors in all the roles.  I will say, however, that I can't wait to go back and watch the movie again and see how it compares.

Blindness was a quick read and a great foray into the world of fiction for me.  I'm glad I choose something that was written by someone who has actually won a Pulitzer.  It gives me hope that I can one day get through the stack of classics and other Pulitzer winners that's sitting on my dresser!

No comments: