Friday, February 5, 2010

Style Icon: Courtney Love

I have had a thing for the 90s for a while now.  A couple years ago, anticipating the return of the 90s, I started to collect vintage Doc Martens and a few babydoll dresses that would give me that early 90s Courtney Love grunge look.  Now, I am well aware that most people hate Courtney Love, and while I consider myself lucky that my ex-boyfriend no longer reads my blog (saving me hours of a lecture about how awful Courtney Love is), I am still certain to get some flack for secretly loving her.

The once prominent musician (thanks to her tumultuous relationships, zany antics, and Cobain written lyrics), has certainly had her fair share of media downfall.  She is constantly run over the coals for things she is saying, lawsuits she is dealing with, and issues with her daughter.  All that aside, if I could dress like she did in the early and mid-90s and pull it off, I would.

The first step is to build my collection of too tight/sheer/ripped/stained baby-doll dresses.  Thankfully, Spring and Summer are just around the corner and if I pair these with an oversized cardigan (or maybe a flannel button-down), I may just be able to pull it off.

The second item I will need to start acquiring is a great collection of Doc Martens.  This is actually going to be surprisingly difficult.  Now, this won't be difficult because Doc Martens are tough to find, no, it will be difficult to create a great collection of them without looking like a total poser.  Thankfully, I am already well on my way already owning a few pairs, including my white and black polka dot graphic Doc Marten boots, which are perfect for rainy weather or bar hopping in Williamsburg.


I bought these Doc Martens at a thrift store in Missoula, Montana a few years ago for around $35.  I've gotten more then my fair share of wear out of them in the rainy New York weather we've had this past year.

Finally, what really makes Courtney Love who she is, is her makeup and hair, and the fact that it is all just way to extreme.  Dark red lipstick, pale white skin, and kohl rimmed eyes that always look as though you've just slept with your make-up on after one too many PBR's.  The final touch is the bleach blond bob.  Having already been a blond for a large portion of my life, I have recently been contemplating switching my dark to light and my long to short. 

That's not all Ms. Love has proven herself to be.  No matter how much MAC Russian Red lipstick or peroxide I use, I could never be like Courtney without all the attitude and "I don't give a fuck" attitude that she projects.  Love her or hate her, get used to her, because even in her 40s, this woman is still making headlines.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kinda stupid-ass shitheel wears WHITE dr. martens?????????

This only proves you know nothing about fashion.

Dwtt said...

As someone who has professionally dealt with Ms. Love, you don't realise what a fool you sound like.

RudeGirl said...

You shouldn't worry so much about looking like a poser, because that's when you start running into trouble.

The same thing happens when you listen to people like "Anonymous".