Monday, February 22, 2010

New York Band to See: Wakey Wakey!

 I used to view concerts as my type of church.  I know that sounds super cheesy, but being a non-religious person, I used to look forward to the one concert a week I would attend while in college.  I used to save all the money I made in event promotions in college for concerts (where I would stay sober to save money), and in this event forgo all the birthday parties and club nights all my friends attended.  

Granted, when you are raised with a father who has thousands of albums and 25 years worth of Rolling Stone magazines, music does just become a part of your life.  And although I have no musical talent (aside from the viola, which I've played for 10 years, yet still totally suck), I love listening to live music and enjoying those experiences more then anything.  I try not to be picky, I will attend everything from rap to classic rock to obviously, indie rock.  This weekend I decided to take in the Harper Blynn and Wakey Wakey shows at Mercury Lounge.

You may know Wakey Wakey from the CW show, One Tree Hill.  And while that may be uncool in some circles, it does not negate the amazing performance they put on.  Ranging from solo pieces to pieces with 12 musicians (including a whistler and three piece brass section), Wakey Wakey put on a solid performance that could be enjoyed by nearly everyone.  Mike Grubbs is undeniably amazing on the keyboard and vocals.  Anne Lieberwirth is on bass, and while I obviously love female bass players (I one day aspire to be one), it was Anne's shy nature, yet incredible rhythm that kept me captivated.  However, I will say that my favorite band member was Patrick Doane on violin.  With his smallish build and elvish demeanor you would never expect him to wail so hard on a violin, even going so hard as to breaking a few of his bow strings along the way. 

Wakey Wakey is currently on tour here in the east, their next New York show is March 27 at Rockwood Music Hall.  Check out their music here, on their myspace.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent photo.

Alexandra Steinmetz said...

Compliments of my phone and someone much taller then me taking the picture for me