Friday, February 26, 2010

Style Inspiration: Rebecca

I have been spending a lot of time catching up on my classics everything: movies, books, plays, music, etc. And while catching up on classic films, I have been watching a lot of Alfred Hitchcock.

Sometimes, I fall asleep during these films.  Not intentionally, but usually it's me and the dog on the couch, which is a recipe for napping.  But tonight when I watched Rebecca I couldn't stop watching.  Hitchcock's first Hollywood film and only Oscar winner is a psychological thriller about a newlywed (Joan Fontaine) who cannot quite cope with the memory of her husband's (played by Laurence Olivier) ex-wife.  Excellent acting, a few plot twists, and beautiful cinematography make this film great, but what I really love are Joan Fontaine's outfits.

Pencil skirts, thin silk blouses, cardigan twinsets, and fabulous accessories spell 30's glamour in a subtle, easy way.  Prior to the 1950s era of excess with fabric to spare, hemlines went up, silhouettes went down, and the clothing stayed plain.  Although it is more difficult for me to find pieces of clothing from this era that work for me, I can certainly dig it.

Joan Fontaine kills it with her boxy shouldered jacket and matching hat.  First stop, invest in some awesome vintage hats (my mom and I have been collecting since I was a kid), second stop, a 30s style bob to show off those hats.  I need to start working on my pincurls again.


Fontaine's silhouette is perfect.  Knee length pencil skirt, puff sleeved blouse, short heels, the costume of choice for Hitchcock heroines.  

So instead, I will scour eBay for hours, fighting off the wards of other women who love the look of Hitchcock heroines, film noir, and The Great Gatsby.  I will continue to collect vintage dresses, pin-up style heels, heavy wool coats, and costume jewelry.  In fact, I should probably go check my site now, I think I have some bids about to end :)

No comments: