Friday, February 26, 2010

Top 10 Fashion Needs for 2010

I am not a huge shopper.  I like to go vintage shopping, but only between the hours of 10-2 on a weekday (which now that I'm working 9-5 is going to be difficult), I will go shop in little boutiques (but I'm not earning a ton of money, so that will be tough), and I despise most stores like H&M and Forever 21.  Having worked in a boutique from the ages of 17-20, I have an aversion towards most giant stores, something to do with overhead lighting and racks of clothing askew and the chaos that goes with it.

Having said that, I usually keep a list of the clothing items I want.  This way I stay on my budget, I don't end up with too many things I don't need (vintage dresses aside), and I don't have to spend much time shopping.

So far, as my life, interests, and attitude is changing, so is my wardrobe.  My list is growing far more then I want it to, but here are the Top 10 for 2010:

1. Bamboo T-shirts.  I have been searching for the perfect t-shirt for a while, and am dying to move to more renewable fabric sources.  I began this quest with my bamboo bed sheets last year, and I cannot get over how soft they are.  Bamboo t-shirts can be a little pricey, so I plan on investing in a black, white and probably yellow one for the time being.

2. Skinny black pants.  Remember when those GAP ads used Audrey Hepburn a couple years ago?  Well, I missed the boat on that and am now kicking myself for it.  I have a feeling that with enough hunting I will be able to find them, but I have a feeling that these will be one of the purchases I make next fall.

3. Patterned silk scarves.  I have a few of these already, and I love adding them to a t-shirt and skirt as a fun alternative to a necklace.  Hey, it worked for Jackie O.

4. Striped boatneck top.  I secretly desire to spend my days drinking wine, reading Sartre, and smoking cigarettes (even though I don't really intend to ever do this last thing).  I've always seen myself doing that in a striped boatneck top with my hair pulled up in a bun.  Granted, I'm also super tall and skinny in this fantasy, so who knows.

5. Short black Frye boots.  As I've previously mentioned, I have a deep love for Frye boots.  I asked for the Harness Frye's '8' for Christmas, but I think my dad figured that after two pairs, a third was unnecessary.  He may be right, but that doesn't mean I won't ask for them for my birthday.

6.  A signature silver necklace.  I know this sounds a bit weird, but I have been scouring the globe for a simple, classy, silver necklace that is all my own.  I have a silver graduated bead necklace from Tiffany that I love, but it's almost too classy.  I also have a great sparrow necklace I found for $3 at a thrift store, but that too, just isn't quite me.  It's time for me to find my signature piece.

7. New sunglasses.  I want basic black frames, and a decent lens, is that too much to ask for?  Upon last Spring's loss of my favorite Burberry's (left drunkenly behind at Down the Hatch), I have been dying to buy some new, classic sunglasses.  Having gotten all of my sunglasses at amazing prices, I've always been super picky about how much I spend, that's probably a good thing, considering how things go on those drunken nights.

8. Fabulous and practical neutral colored flats.  Recently, I've learned the joy of having fashionable flats in New York City.  Not only do I need something I can wear to work, but I need something comfortable enough to get me through Grand Central at rush hour.  These are a few months off, I definitely plan on spending some good money on these, I need something that will last me more then a month.  I'm not a huge label queen anymore, but I've always thought these Chanel flats to be perfection.

9.  Long, thin knit cardigans.  I have a number of these that I've been wearing for years, but that's the problem, I've been wearing them for years and now they are well-loved and not so work appropriate.  The only problem is that I am super picky about my cardigans, and cannot find the one that I already own.

10. A really practical, really great, really classic, really big bag.  I have a really great collection of purses both vintage, and designer that I rarely carry.  The truth of the matter is that in New York, we carry our lives on our shoulders and that usually requires a big bag.

Now that I'm doing a mental checklist of how much all of this will cost, I realize that it will definitely take me a year to acquire all these items, either that or maybe I should start picking up some extra bartending gigs :)

No comments: