Monday, February 15, 2010

Style Inspiration: Network


I love Turner Classic Movies 31 Days of Oscar.  It has given me the opportunity to fill my DVR with all those pesky movies that fill my "Must-See Film" Excel spreadsheet (yes, it exists).  Currently, I'm watching Network, and while i can appreciate the message, the acting, the directing, etc., what I can't stop admiring is Faye Dunaway's super 70s wardrobe.  



Seeing as tomorrow is my first day in a business-casual environment, I am stressing over how I will turn my primarerly vintage wardrobe into any semblance of corporate cool.  Enter: Faye Dunaway.  As Diana Christensen, Dunaway spends the entire movie rocking mid-70s pantsuits, silk blouses, and amazing skirt and turtleneck combos that make me seethe with envy.


Dunaway, who is usually seen as a fashion icon for Bonnie and Clyde, or Chinatown, rocks the 70s penis-envying male styles that I have come to admire and seek.  Sticking mainly in the same neutrals I have always sought-out when outfitting myself for a day in the city, she manages to bridge the gap between being totally badass, and completely sexy, another ideal I can only hope to one day achieve.

Granted, my body may not be the slim, tall 70s ideal, but that doesn't mean I can't try.  So after my rent and utilities come out of my first paycheck, I think the rest of it will be spent on some wide-leg trousers, a button up silk blouse, and maybe a patterned scarf for good measure.  Super corporate bad-ass chic, here I come.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know NOTHING about fashion. If you want to be bad-ass, immitating Faye Dunnaway in Network isn't gonna get. Why not be yourself and: STOP DRINKING, GROW-UP, GET A REAL JOB.

Trey Parasuco said...

Don't pay attention to "Anonymous" or any of the other idiots from the Diehipster blog. "Anonymous" is one of the regular commenters on that blog who goes by the handle "Parkslope=YuppieToilet". If you Google him you'll find literally hundreds of links to his various online rants that have been posted over a period of years. It's clear he has mental issues as this is all he does in his spare time. You might also consider the fact that the creator of Diehipster has been promoting his blog for YEARS in the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist NYC. His followers are therefore the lowest of the low, native Brooklyn social rejects who have nothing better to do with themselves in their spare time but incite hate and violence against other people they don't know a thing about. Despite years of existence, looking at the comments, the Diehipster blog only has about a dozen loyal followers that buzz around it daily, leaving ignorant and idiotic comments just like "anonymous" does on here.