Monday, February 1, 2010

Quick Grammy Recap

I normally don't write much on award shows.  I don't usually watch many award shows, but I did watch the first half of the Grammy's this year.  Here were a few of my favorite highlights:

-Leonard Cohen receiving a Lifetime Achievement award.

-Green Day performing with the cast of American Idiot, which releases March 24, and I will definitely be seeing it.

-Beyonce covering Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know."  When asked why this song was so often covered by pop stars in the past year by a music loving friend, I suggested that it offered an interesting juxtaposition between anti-misogonist lyrics in the grunge-loving mid-90s, versus 2010 with Beyonce's "If I Were a Boy"

-Pink's aerial silk performance.  The female chandelier is very Howard Hawks circa Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, but Pink's body is banging, she's an amazing performer, and a killer singer.  I really just want to be her.

-Finally, I have to say, that as much as I adored Lady Gaga and Elton John's performance, it was a Lady Gaga performance, that made me originally decide to give into my love for the woman, and I was expecting something insane and wonderful again.  It's okay, I still love her.  In fact, she was so awesome in this Giorgio Armani Prive dress, that it was difficult for me to look directly at her.


Lady Gaga wins my vote for being the best dressed of the night.  I know I'm pretty much alone in this, but the weirder you dress the more I like you (ahem, Bjork).

Lady Gaga has become my surrealist fantasy.  Everything I loved in modern art and cinema is becoming realized through this woman, and one day I feel as though they'll be teaching a class in modern and surrealist performance, studying Lady Gaga concerts and videos!

No comments: