Friday, November 5, 2010

Hipster Must-See: Monsters

I love horror movies, but lately, I've been really feeling Sci-Fi movies.  I've always had a thing for ridiculous monsters, and with recent releases such as Cloverfield, and The Mist, I'm glad to see a resurgence for big bugs and monsters.  So when I saw a previous for the low-budget, independent film, Monsters, I couldn't wait to check it out in theaters.

Written and directed by Gareth Edwards, this sci-fi vehicle was supposedly shot on an ultra-low budget.  Gareth also did the cinematography and visual effects, which was one of the many ways he saved money, I'm sure.  The most surprising thing about this movie is that although it was made for next to nothing, it looks like it cost millions to make.

The premise is that a probe carrying alien life forms has crashed in New Mexico and six years afterwards, we have adapted to having an infected zone that takes up most of Mexico.  After an attack in Costa Rica, a journalist must get his publisher's daughter through the infected zone and home safely.

It is a film that sounds as though it is bound to be crazy and action packed, but in truth, it was more about the relationship of these two people.  Not at all what I expected, but to be honest, I kind of loved it.  The visual effects weren't great, but the world that Gareth Edwards created was completely believable, which could be due to the fact that he used real people as his extras and often shot on location to save money.

As a supporter of independent film, and anything remotely weird, scary, etc., Monsters is a definite must-see.

Check out more info here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/

And here's the trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1938032921/

No comments: