Friday, November 12, 2010

Hipster Must-Hear: Ngabo

As I previously mentioned, I attended the Silver Sound Music Video Film Festival and Band Battle at Brooklyn Bowl on Tuesday. And while I was there primarily to support At Sea, I also got the opportunity to check out some really awesome bands while I was there. And I fell in love.

Ngabo is an experimental rock singer out of Montreal, Canada. And while I can't understand a word he is saying in most of the songs, their performance alone is worth a trek to Quebec. The moment they hit the stage you automatically think "I'm probably going to hate this," due to the matching blue velvet blazers,* and aviator sunglasses, but within one or two songs you feel yourself giving in and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. Their energy is insane, their beats are super danceable, and if you decide to approach them after the show, they are incredibly down to earth and gracious. It's just too bad that all us hipsters are far too cool to dance to their music in public.

For more information check out:

http://www.ngabo.com/

And for those of us non-French speakers:

http://www.myspace.com/ngabomusique

*Ngabo is backed up by a bass player, but I unfortunately could not find his name.

No comments: