Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hipster Must-Read: Bright Lights, Big City

I've been dying to read this classic Jay McInerney novel for ages.  Having been a huge Bret Easton Ellis fan for years, I couldn't wait to read the novel of his 80s literary rival.  And when I finally broke down and got a copy, it took me all of two days to finish it.  And with a film remake version set to come out next year, there is no better time to do so.

With similar tones to Less Than Zero, McInerney's semi-autobiographical novel explores the seedy underbelly that was the 1980s New York yuppie scene.  My favourite.  I love reading about the different areas of New York and how they change now, and let's be honest, I love reading about discontent people in their mid-20s (something about it just strikes a chord with me, what can I say?)

I've added a couple more McInerney novels on my list, and also added the Michael J. Fox film version to my Netflix queue, although I'm sure to be disappointed.  But since McInerney never really repeated his super star status with any other books, I'm wondering if I'm going to end up disappointed?

No comments: