Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hipster Must-Read: Bohemian Manifesto

Hipsters are the new bohemians.  And as a self-proclaimed hipster (not to be confused with a trustafarian), and an avid (maybe obsessive) reader, I couldn't help but pick up a copy of Laren Stover's Bohemian Manifesto.  And I definitely see the connection.  Stover explores Bohemian lifestyle and culture from past French bohemian's through present hipster types.  Stover discusses everything from wardrobe, to food, to the language of love through five different types of bohemians; the Nouveau Bohemian, the Gypsy Bohemian, the Dandy Bohemian, the Zen Bohemian, and the Beat Bohemian.  She lists must-read books for bohemians, cookbooks that explore the bohemian lifestyle (I am dying to get my hands on this),  must-see bohemian films, and even a recipe for absinthe.

I've discovered that I am a mix between the Nouveau Bohemian and the Zen Bohemian, if that's at all possible.  My love of food and finer things makes me a little bit Nouveau, but my love of the earth, growing my own food, and being a bit of a hippy definitely files me under the Zen Bohemian.  But let's face it, with my love of getting manicures, watching crappy SyFy movies, and reading a book on being bohemian, definitely makes me much less of an actual bohemian.

Yes, the book is a little bit ridiculous, but it's fun.  And besides, there is something so ridiculous/romantic about the bohemian lifestyle that you can't help but want to be a part of it.  Or maybe that's just me...

2 comments:

MrPrz said...

As you describe yourself... you are not a bohemian, you have much to learn to be a bohemian.
It is not about what you read, what you buy, what you like...

there is not tipes of bohemianism, you are or you are not.

Bohemianism is about a way of life, that you can compare with the art.

My point is easy... if you can find a description of yourself on this book, you are not a bohemian.

You are a hipster, that it is not the same thing than being a bohemian.

Saludos.

Alexandra Steinmetz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.