Friday, September 10, 2010

Hipster Must-See: Machete


I rarely get an opportunity to post about big budget, mainstream movies.  To be frank, most of the time, I don't go watch these movies, let alone like them enough to devote my time to posting about them.

So am I surprised that I would feel so strongly about Machete, that I would want to write about it?  Absolutely not.  Since seeing the Machete trailer during the Grindhouse double-feature (which I saw three times in theaters), I have been counting down the days until this movie was released.  Robert Rodriguez Mexploitation starring the severely underrated Danny Trejo is full of mass, pointless violence, campy dialogue, and hot chicks.  Everything a grindhouse inspired throwback should be.   Robert Rodriguez knows a few things about casting, action, and violence, and this movie has all three.

It's about time that Trejo, who has a million imdb credits, finally got the recognition and lead role he deserves.  I loved Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, and even Lindsay Lohan in this film, which is no easy feat considering I don't care for any of those actresses.  And an appearance by the magnificent Tom Savini, and De Niro*?  How can the movie not be epic?

In light of the recent racial issues and controversy surrounding Arizona, the timing for this film could not have been more perfect.  I left the theater wanting to see it again and again.  It will definitely be a must-own for my collection, and should be a must-see for you!

http://www.vivamachete.com/

*Can I just mention how brilliant it is when De Niro starts to go all crazy and gets into a taxi?  Amazing for all the right reasons.

No comments: