Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Most Un-PC Thing I Do

I am usually known for being very PC. I try not to generalize or stereotype groups of people, I try to live by John Stuart Mill's standards of Liberty, and I don't eat a lot of meat. It's usually this last clause that I get hung up on.

I love animals. I often thing that the farming industry mistreats their livestock and I try to buy as knowledgeable of that as possible. I was often referred to as the "Food Nazi" while living at home after I posted a list of over-farmed fish on the fridge. I am a valiant animal loving hippie who loves to spread the gospel around.

Sort of.

You see, underneath this hippie exterior lies a total hypocrite. Regardless of my animal and food politics there is one thing I do that cannot be made up for. I wear fur.

Hold onto your cans of red paint. I, of course, have rules by which I wear fur. It has to be used, it has to be vintage (the longer it's been dead, the better I sleep at night), and it doesn't have to be real. I know that these rules will never make up for my fur loving, animal killing self, and one day I may look back and be disgusted by my choices. But that day, is not today. No, today was the first day I decided to sport my newest fur addition:


BEHOLD: THE PATCHWORK RABBIT JACKET


A year ago, I would have thought this jacket tacky, and not for me. However, ever since I watched Wait Until Dark starring Audrey Hepburn, I have been obsessed with getting a patchwork fur. At the beginning of the movie, which takes place in New York in 1967, a minor character is spotted wearing a trench length patchwork fur. While I'm too short to wear a trench length anything, I think this shorter version will suffice.


A better view of the length




And a close up of all the different colors.

My roommate and I have established that it's probably rabbit (though I was secretly hoping it was fake actually). If only my PETA member mom could see me now...

1 comment:

Alex said...

This made me think...if civilization ever ended, I would have to give up eating meat. There's absolutely no way I could kill a cow/chicken/rabbit/etc. with my hands. How terrible.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank Heavens for the manly men...