Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hip To Be Square?

A few years ago, when I was in university, knitting was all the rage. It was featured in every fashion magazine out there, celebrities were spotted bringing their knitting with them, and I, too, desperately wanted to learn to make my own scarves, hats, mittens, and sweaters.

Luckily for me, my university actually had free knitting lessons around the lunch hour every Tuesday. Arming myself with thick, wooden needles, and a chunky skein of wool and embarked on creating my very first knit creation. Upon the completion of that first scarf, I was hooked. I spent all my free time knitting, and before I knew it, I had Christmas presents for all my friends and family members.

Flash forward six years. I have since given up the knitting, but am now home in Montana with those same giant wood needles and a new skein of yarn. But the question is, is knitting still cool? None of my friends now do it, chunky knit scarves have given way to pretty ethnic patterned scarves, and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

Knitting is relaxing, meditative, and it gives me something positive to do with my hands. It allows me to put down my iPhone for a few minutes and knit a row or two.

Knitting is creative-- I get the opportunity to pick out textures, colors, patterns, and put them together in a unique, and one of a kind way.

Knitting is productive--there is something so positive about having a product that you have made with your own hands. Even if it is while I'm sitting in front of the TV watching The Breakfast Club for the millionth time, I like that after a week or two, I have something warm to wear in the New York winters.

So I may be a 23 year old granny, but I think my compelling arguments to the benefits of knitting win. So if you'll excuse me, it's time to put my computer away for the night and knit two, purl one.

No comments: