Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Style Inspiration: Near Dark

I know that vampires are all the rage these days, but after taking a Vampires in Literature and Film class in university (oh yeah, that was offered), I feel like I might be a bit more qualified to talk about vampire films then some people out there.

I am a sucker for 80s vampire films. The Hunger, Lost Boys, and last, but very not least, Near Dark. Kathryn Bigelow's western vampire film is ridiculously violent, has a killer soundtrack (scored by Tangerine Dream), and is full of sociopathic crazy southern vampires.

Near Dark also does one thing for me that some of these other films have not. It gives me this ridiculous style inspiration. Call it growing up in the country, or maybe it's my fond nostalgia for the American Southwest, but it makes me want to be a sexy cowboy vamp.

Jenny Wright's tight jeans and tied shirts, Jenette Goldstein's blond hair and dark roots, and most importantly, Bill Paxton's spurs. I feel like I could get away with most of these looks in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, but the spurs are something I'm not so sure of. But man, I would feel like such a badass...



I wish I was cool enough to pull of Jenette Goldstein's wicked dark roots and tough as nails exterior



Bill Paxton and Adrian Pasdar in the memorable bar scene. This scene singlehandedly made me want to own spurs, if you have yet to see it, it's on IFC all month, and easy enough to find on Netflix.

No comments: