Friday, December 11, 2009

Top 10 Favorite Books of 2009

I am not the New York Times Best-Seller list. I don’t rush out to buy the newest books, and I have never read a Twilight novel in my life. But I love literature and think my opinion is valid, so here is a top ten list of the books I have read in the past year:

10. Geek Love
Catharine Dunn’s novel about a family who’s members are nearly all in a carnival sideshow strikes a chord and common theme among books I like to read…it’s bizarre. It manages to be crazy, emotional, and sad all at the same time. I recommend it for anyone looking for something a little bit different from the New York Times Best Sellers.

9. Famous for 15 Minutes
Ultra Violet was an integral part of the Andy Warhol factory scene in the 60s. This memoir, albeit not well written, is fascinating to anyone interested in Warhol, Dali, and the sex, drugs, and rock and roll scene that was the New York 60s. Now out-of-print, it is relatively easy to find a used copy online.

8. Animal Farm
2009 was my year of catching up on classics. Unfortunately, most of those classics did not make my list, but George Orwell’s metaphorical novel has affected my core. Read in the course of two hours at a local coffee shop, I found myself deeply upset, and I don’t think I ate meat for weeks.

7. Drugs are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir
Lisa Crystal Carver’s memoir of the 1980s and 1990s underground is missing the one thing you’d think it would have: drugs, at least from her. What it does have is lots of music references, the start of ‘zine culture, alleged Nazi’s and the story of one woman’s pain and strength to get through it.

6. Into the Wild
I found my copy of Into the Wild on the street and had I not, I probably never would have read it. Part of me envy’s Chris McCandless’ adventure, and the interviews with everyone he touched during his travels is inspiring. Later made into a movie starring the amazing Emile Hirsch, this story is wonderful and heartbreaking.

5. Middlesex
Jeffrey Eugenides ode to a hermaphrodite is his first, but not only appearance on my list. Spanning from Greek grandparents, to Grosse Pointe, Michigan, this novel is truly an amazing read.

4. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs
Chuck Klosterman’s best selling essay collection makes it pretty high on my list. It is perfect for anyone in their 20s, it deals with topics relevant to growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, and it made me want to rewatch My So-Called Life.

3. The Fountainhead
Ayn Rand’s objectivism is not a popular topic among most people, and while I wouldn’t consider myself an objectivist, I will say this. I want to be Dominique Francon. Her powerful female role is admirable and inspiring, if only one day I can be that much of a ball buster.

2. American Psycho
Bret Easton Ellis tribute to New York and all it’s Patrick Bateman’s in the late 1980s. This was the last B.E.E. book for me to read, the most difficult, and my favorite. I had to speed through this one because I began thinking like Patrick Bateman and my inner monologues kept me up at night.

1. The Virgin Suicides
Jeffrey Eugenides first novel that was later adapted into a feature film by Sophia Coppola. Not only is it my favorite read of 2009, but it’s quite possibly my favorite read ever. Written with grace and eloquence, The Virgin Suicides hits a note that anyone who has ever faced adolescence can relate to.

No comments: