Friday, September 5, 2008

The Art of Packing

Okay, it is no secret that I have a lot of stuff. I mean A LOT of stuff. I recently gave away three bags of clothing and still had a full closet....and two laundry baskets full of clothes. I have enough dresses to wear one a day for a month without repeating, enough skirts to go a couple weeks, the same goes for pants, and too many tops to even begin to count. With the impending doom of my move to New York, not only do I need less stuff, but I also need to fit it all into a couple suitcases and maybe a carry on.*

I began packing a couple days ago, mostly my dressy clothes and pants, stuff I knew I wouldn't be wearing before I left. I had my big suitcase full (though the cat seemed to think it was a new bed for her), and realized that I hadn't begun packing most of my jeans (though there aren't many, I'm much more of a dress person), many of my vintage dresses still hung in the closet, and a have far too many coats to fit into one small suitcase. Oh, I also have a full basket of random clothes that need a home.

At this point of panic I did what I always do. Broke out Google Search and began pouring over forums as to the best way to pack. A majority of the posts suggested rolling your clothes (though there were a few vehemently opposed to this practice). I emptied out the large case and began rolling. Although it is just as full as it was before, I did manage to fit in another sweater, a couple more shirts, and a few odds and ends. Though there wasn't a huge difference, I am definitely a convert to the school of rolling. It doesn't work super well for things like jeans and a lot of my fuller vintage dresses, but I can definitely use it for a majority of my clothes.

However, I still have a few vintage dresses, my wonderful sequin tops (not good for rolling), and all my coats to pack. I'm beginning to think I may just need a vacuum sealer. I wonder if my boyfriends OCD step-mother has one...



* Though, on the plus side, I'm taking the train, so in theory I can take three checked bags, two carry-ons and a purse. Much nicer then traveling by air!

No comments: