Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fashion Week Favorite 2008: Nicole Miller



I like to pretend that I am a fashionista. I am not. It is true that I can tell you whether or not a Louis Vuitton is real, I can distinguish between Christian Dior and Christian Louboutin, and I know the significance of Marc Jacobs on my generation. But let's face it, I'm in Kalispell, Montana. Our definition of high fashion is high-end jeans that we buy at overpriced tourist destinations, and second rate Dooney and Bourke purses from TJ Maxx.

However, through all my posing as a fashionista, I have gained quite an interest in actual fashion, and this includes scanning the daily updates on style.com during fashion week. A lot of high fashion I don't quite understand. A lot of it I can't see myself or anyone that doesn't look like a model wearing, and I definitely can't see a lot of people shelling out hundreds of dollars for the pieces. But today there was one collection that I would sell my second rate Dooney and Bourke purses for. Nicole Miller.

With Spring collections you can almost always expect bright colors and florals, rebirth, growth, and all those metaphors. But Nicole Miller's bright stripes paired with suit pieces, brought a new revival to what I expect from Spring collections. I was also pleasantly surprised by the abundance of black used in this collection. Usually designers stray away from dark colors after wearing them nonstop during the winter. What I loved more then anything about this collection was the bright patterned dresses. Not only do they look fun and festive (for some reason I was brought back to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I was reliving my childhood), but they look wearable. Even for us non-models. Pair them with the chunky necklaces Miller used and I was salivating over the collection.

Anyway, it's late, and I have to figure out how to get 5 pairs of boots, two pairs of platforms, and various other shoes into my suitcases tomorrow. Wish me luck and check out Miller's collection on style.com

No comments: