Saturday, September 13, 2008

Event to Try: The Poetry Brothel

I've been in the city less then a week. I'm still living with my friend, desperately searching out a place and job hunting like crazy. However, I'm still making time to have fun and explore all the glorious things the city has to offer.

That being said, last night my dear friend dragged me to a "Poetry Brothel" in Brooklyn. I didn't know what to expect, but whatever it was, this event was not what I expected. The first thing I have to remember is that spaces in NYC are SMALL. I expected it to be more of an open warehouse type thing, but it was a small apartment building. It was crowded, hot, and sticky. But that can't ruin your night. There are various "whores" that you can pay to read you poetry (you get a free reading with your $10 cover charge). They come out and do excerpts at the beginning (most in costume). It is such a diverse group of talented poets it becomes tough to decide which whore you're going to take. You can choose from poems on beastiality, snails (my personal favorite), or rigor mortis erections.

If getting a poetry reading isn't your thing, then maybe the live music, ever present absinthe, or just the company will get you there. Either way, next time you're looking for something to do and the poetry brothel is going on, head down at least for a little while, you'll be glad you did. http://www.thepoetrybrothel.com

No comments: