Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hipster Must-See: The Cove


This will probably be the hardest post to write while attempting to not be an angry, irrational mess while doing so.  Tonight, after having it on Netflix for weeks and building myself up emotionally, I finally had the guts to watch The Cove.  I've been interested in oceanic conservation and preservation since my late university years, and as I grow older and more knowledgeable, I have only become more interested and active.

First of all, I think that everyone, everywhere, should watch this movie.  I know that it's difficult to see these images, and I know that many people are far too busy taking care of their families to spend the time watching it, but if millions of people can watch American Idol every night, then I would like to see the millions spend one of those nights watching The Cove.  The plethora of information on health, ocean economics, culture, and animals is astounding, as is the lengths that not only will conservations go through to prevent such an atrocity, but also the lengths that the Japanese will go through to continue the hunt.

To be honest, a lot of the movie was a review for me.  I had seen previews for The Cove months ago, but never managed to catch it in theaters.  I have read books on whaling, have spoken with a fisheries expert from the UN about the Japanese fishing policies, and even know a founder of Greenpeace, needless to say, this is something I'm passionate about.  But what I find terribly shocking is the fact that other people are not knowledgeable about this practice, including larger Japanese populations.

The Cove won the Best Documentary Oscar on Sunday night.  Since their win, I have seen three separate articles on oceans and fisheries.  Could this be the push we need to finally make a change?  Being such a skeptic, I often feel so resolutely hopeless and helpless that it devastates me entirely.  Having watched this film, I am left inspired and slightly more hopeful.  Knowing that there are people out there who care, who make change happen, and who speak as advocates for those who can't, leaves me wanting to do more, be involved, and as the ever so popular Gandhi quote goes "Be the change I want to see in the world."

Maybe you will too.

1 comment:

Guisun said...

Yet this documentary is the worst way to help the cause. They have all caucasian cast being the "heroes" and putting all japanese as "bad guys". The classical caucasian saves X from the evil asians theme. This is further hardens Japanese sentiment towards international pressure. The point should be to move/inspire japanese people to make their government to outlaw this kind of practice.
To put in context, how would you feel if hindus made a documentary portraying all Americans as evil for butchering cattle for food. Or vegans portraying all meat eaters as evil for eating meat?