Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best Album Ever (Right Now): Sunset Rubdown's Dragonslayer

I don't know why I try to write music reviews.  I can't ever describe the genre of a band (outside of iTunes generic alternative, hip-hop, etc., labels), I'm completely misinformed about what is going on in mainstream music, and in the grand scheme of things, my music knowledge is miniscule.

But I know what I like, so I'll write about that.

As I've mentioned before, I'm obsessed with Spencer Krug, and more importantly, his band Sunset Rubdown.  I've been listening to them for years, have seen them in concert a handful of times, and have introduced nearly all of my friends* to them.  But for some reason, I did not have the album, Dragonslayer, until a couple months ago.  I know, what kind of fan am I?

I heard it at my favorite bar (The Black Rabbit) where my favorite bartender (Kent) was playing it, and I knew all the words, but knew I didn't have it.  So I went home and downloaded it, legally.  I'm sure my roommate and friends would attest to this, but it has not left my speakers since that day.

Lately, it's been my album I listen to when I'm cooking, when I'm writing (it may or may not be on right now), when I'm walking, and when I'm drinking.  By far their best album yet, Dragonslayer, still embodies the experimental sounds that Spencer Krug is known for.  Combine those with amazing beautiful and touching lyrics, and the instrumental technique, and the album becomes highly addictive.

There is not a single track I do not like.  Since downloading this album, I have begun checking the Sunset Rubdown website obsessively, waiting until they announce new concert dates.

In fact, I'm not sure I can even relate to anyone who hasn't listened to this album (there goes my Gemini over exaggeration), but in all seriousness, go, go get this album, spend the $7 or whatever it was on iTunes, and keep it on repeat until you know all the words.

I promise you won't be disappointed.

*All the worthy friends

No comments: