Monday, April 12, 2010

Style Icon: Stevie Nicks

My roommate and I don't disagree on a lot of things., and we're lucky that way.  Unfortunately, the one big disagreement in our house is, of all things, Stevie Nicks.  My roommate, hates Stevie Nicks.  We are talking a vehement passion against this woman, a passion that she does not express towards anyone else she does not know.

I, on the other hand, love Stevie Nicks.  I once made my parents buy me Rumors on vinyl, and my dad's response was "really, Alex, I've had this album for 30 years and you want me to buy it for you"?  My love of Nicks has not stopped since.  To this day, laying in my dark room listening to Rumors is my favorite way to start my week.

Yes, I love her rough, sorta annoying voice.  I love the lyrics her and Buckingham wrote during their breakup, but most of all, I love her style.

Call it gypsy, witch, peasant, or victorian, whatever you call it, I want it.  I want to wear billowing layers of lace, skirts of velvet, and shirts adorned with ruffles.  And more than anything, I want to pair it with six inch suede boots that make me fear for my neck whenever I walk on cobblestones.

Granted, I'm not a musician or a quaalude queen, which makes pulling off this style a bit more difficult.  Maybe I need to drop out of life, find a profession in the arts, and invest in some ridiculosity.  After all, if there is any place I can pull off a Stevie Nicks look, New York City is the place to do it.

1 comment:

Randy said...

I just met a girl obsessed with Stevie Nicks. She seems cool. So I've decided Stevie Nicks is OK by me.