Monday, April 12, 2010

The Soundtrack of My Life: Edition 1

Lately, I've been going through a rather obsessive compulsive music phase.  Now, I am not an obsessive personality.  I can quit nearly anything if I put my mind to it, and can change habits quickly.  However, with my music, I like what I like, and lately, it's been a lot of the same things.

So, in light of my recent personal situation, and in light of being a 23 year old in New York City, here are a list of the 10 songs that I cannot get enough of right now in my life.

10. "Purple Rain," by Prince.  Duh.

9. "Falling Down" by Scarlett Johansson.  Yes, her album was not spectacular, but every time I hear this song come over my headphones when I'm walking through the city or in the subway, I am instantly calm and nostalgic for another life.

8. "Over It" by The Dandy Warhols.  One of my favorite bands, this song is my go to I don't give a damn anthem.  If only I meant it half the time...

7. "1901" by Phoenix.  Except I feel so super uncool liking this song now that it's in a car commercial.

6. "Second Hand News" by Fleetwood Mac.  I've been harboring a deep love of Fleetwood Mac since college (I know, I was a little late), and this song always reminds me of my friend Mark.

5.  "The Recluse" by Cursive.  A friend of mine once told me, in a reference to film noir, that I might be a black widow.  Apparently, that means that I may have the ability to get people caught in my web before I gobble them up.  I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not, but with a line like "you're in my web now, I've come to wrap you up tight, til it's time to bite down," this is one of those songs that takes me back to that memory.

4. "Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys and Jay-Z.  Yes, it's cheesy, and it doesn't really mean a whole lot, but there is no better song to listen to when I'm walking down the bustling streets of this amazing city.

3. "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin.  Last week, at Harlow's Hideaway, I watch a great burlesque performer do a comedic piece to this song.  I've been listening to it non-stop ever since.  But that's what I love about Janis Joplin, you can forget about her for years, but the minute you need her, she's there.

2. "Nightingale/December Song" by Sunset Rubdown.  "You are a vast explosion and I am the embers." Uhhh, yeah, I feel that way a lot.

1.  "West Coast," by Coconut Records.  I can remember the first time I ever heard this song and the completely visceral moment I had with my friend Josh.  We looked at each other and instantly knew that we would both love this song forever.  I still get that feeling every time I hear the opening bars.

This list seems kind of weak to be perfectly honest, maybe I'll have to keep working on it.  I hope edition 2 isn't quite this pathetic...

No comments: