Sunday, April 18, 2010

Style Inspiration: Willow

Ok, this one may seem a bit outlandish, but here me out.

Ron Howard's 1988 epic has always had a very special place in my heart.  I grew up watching this movie on repeat, developed a crush on Val Kilmer before I knew what crushes were, and always wanted to be a red head because of Joanne Whalley.  And in my older years, I'm taking it one step further and using it as a current wardrobe inspiration.

Now, I'm not suggesting wearing armor to the Lower East Side, or wielding a sword through Midtown, but I think that inspiration can be found everywhere, even fantasy movies starring Warwick Davis.

Fashion highlights of this film include: the bits of fur that the brownies sport, the layers of chains that are part of Sorsha's battle gear, the amazing boots that all the warriors ride the countryside in, the dashiki style tops of the male Elwin's, and (obviously) the kick-ass all black, structured outfits that allow Sorsha to kick Madmartigan's ass and steal his heart.

And I don't think I'm the only one inspired, check out some of these pictures from the Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 runway shows and see if it takes you back to Tir Asleen...


Chanel Iman during the Phi Fall 2009 show is oddly reminiscent of a modern day Sorsha.  Metal chest plate and helmet optional.




Dolce and Gabbana Fall 2009.  




Alexander Wang Spring 2010

No comments: