Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hipster Must-See: The Who's Tommy


Over the weekend, I quit my paying job (whoops), and therefore had scads of free time to catch up on all sorts of movies. One such movie, was The Who's epic Tommy, which I recorded off Ovation on Saturday night to prevent me from having to watch the hours worth of commercials.

Growing up, my dad was at home with me during the day (self-employeed), and according to him, I often complained whenever he would put Tommy on the TV. Well, I was an asshole of a child.

Being older, and much wiser, I have grown a fondness and appreciation for such a film. Actually, it goes deeper then that, I have fallen in love with it.

Not being extremely well-versed in The Who, I beyond appreciated the Rock Opera feel combined with songs I know well from popular culture. I adored Roger Daltry and Ann-Margaret as the leads, and cameos by Jack Nicholson, Elton John, and Tina Turner really got me going. I finished the film desperately wanting Daltry's soft curls, Ann-Margaret's wardrobe, and a new guitar.

Pinball wizard I am not, Tommy afficianado I am.

No comments: