Monday, August 17, 2009

This Might Make You Hungry: Julie & Julia


As I've mentioned before, I rarely, if ever attend any sort of movie in New York. Lately, due to my recent unemployment, I have had a lot more time on my hands, which means that I got off my lazy butt on Saturday, went into the city, and accompanied my roommate to the movies.

There was difficulty deciding what movie to see. My top three choices were: The Cove, Food Inc., and It Might Get Loud. Yeah, I'm no fun, when I go to the movies I want to see a real story, or zombies. My roommates top three choices were: Harry Potter, District 9, and G.I. Joe. Choosing movies can create a problem for the two of us, so we reached a compromise and choose a lighthearted film based on actual people, actual events, and actual food.

Not to anyone's surprise, but both Meryl Streep and Amy Adams delivered wonderful performances. Streep's accent alone was worth the $12.50, she was Julia Child. I learned so much about Child's life that I would have never known otherwise, as well as learning a very small amount about French cuisine, which I am also somewhat new to. Adams, as the blogger on a mission delivered a believable performance full of happiness, sadness, and determination.

And of course, it is impossible to not talk about the food. Oh, the food. Raspberry creme, duck, mushrooms, and butter, lots and lots of butter. I left the theater not only wanting to eat everything in sight, but also enroll in a cooking class. Food is more then just fuel, it is an experience, and Julie & Julia proved that food can be a lifesaver, as well as a soul saver.

I laughed, I cried, my stomach rumbled, and I left the theatre feeling as though my time spent taking various classes, trying various internships, and learning new things has not been in vain. After all, Julia Child didn't become Julia Child until late in her life, and her legacy is one we cannot escape today. I can honestly say that this is one of the few movies I've seen recently that I strongly recommend to anyone, old, young, male, female, omnivorous, plan-ti-vo-rous? It may not teach you about Japan's whaling policies, or the food industry, but it will leave you feeling happy and hungry. Bon Apetit!

No comments: