Monday, August 17, 2009

New York Band to see: At Sea

Music blogger and writer, I am not, music lover and appreciater? That I can do, and that I try to do. As often as I can afford to, I like to attend concerts in this great, wonderful city. Having grown up and lived in two relatively smaller areas my entire life, it wasn't until I moved east that I have been given so many opportunities to involve myself in a rich music culture. Having always been friend, lover, and supporter of various musicians throughout my lifetime, it has only become a natural progression to involve myself with people of similar interests in a greater area.

This became surprisingly easier when I discovered the band, At Sea, formerly known as The Death of Jason Brody. Introduced to me by a friend and co-worker of mine, I attended my first At Sea show expecting to hear a few wannabe rockstars that goofed off in music in their spare time. Fortunately for me, I was beyond pleasantly surprised.

Okay, before I go any further, I must give a word of warning- I'm always terrible at describing genre's of music, Indie rock is my constant scapegoat, making it far easier for me to avoid having to dissect someone else's art. Influenced by Doves, and The Stars, I like to label At Sea as "pussy rock," meaning- rock that I can't quite pin down, kinda poppy, kinda alternative, highly enjoyable. Led by Jason Brody, whose voice can be a bit reminiscent of Kurt Cobain at times, At Sea is a band not to be missed live. Not only do these gentleman know how to put together a song, but they are technically proficient, meaning they actually sound like themselves when they step on stage- a concept often missed with indie bands in the New York scene.

Having seen three shows thus far, with a fourth coming up in Jersey City this weekend, At Sea has gotten better each and everytime I have seen them. With an upcoming EP, I look forward to seeing what else these guys will do. Check out their website, support them, and follow them on twitter @atseatheband

Having spent too much time watching bands in dive bars, open for bigger acts, and catching shows in my neighborhood, At Sea will not disappoint. I expect nothing but amazing things from these guys in the future.


For More Info:
www.thedeathofjasonbrody.com

No comments: