Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hipster Must-See: Whip It

So today I decided to go to a movie alone. I thrive on alone time. I eat alone, get coffee alone, and go to movies alone. I swear that if I didn't have a roommate and work around people, I would be alone all the time. So when I picked out a movie today, i decided to go with Whip It, something feel good, female infused, and shorter then the average release.

Whip It was great. I'll be honest, maybe it was my low expectations, but I found it much more entertaining then I expected. I expected to cry for far too much of the movie. I expected Drew Barrymore to have a much larger part then she did. I expected more violence, more roller derby, and less connection to characters. Ellen Page and Alia Shawkat were high school students. Everything they felt, did, thought, I remember doing similar things a few years ago. Every roller derby chick had this tough as nails attitude, and a connection to Babe Ruthless that couldn't be replaced by a family you were born into.

Basically, Whip It made me want to do four things. 1) It made me want to join the roller derby. Duh, the girls seemed tough, but lovable. They seemed to be heroes, but the type of heroes you want to follow, not just idolize. 2) They made me want to dye my hair crazy colours. Kristin Wiig as a redhead, Ellen Page with blue hair, and Drew Barrymore with rainbow stripes. Maybe I would be able to identify more with my own identity if I borrowed someone else's hair. 3) Get a sleeve. Ok, so it's something I've wanted to do for a while, but the badass women in Whip It only intensified that desire. and 4) Move to Austin. Also something I've been contemplating for a while, and it is ALWAYS intensified by any and all movies that take place there. There is something so desirable about a city that allows you to let your freak flag fly. And my freak flag seems to be flying the Austin colors. If only it had a winter.

Either way, Whip It was worth my $12.50, and the two hours. It brought up some emotions that may have been needed to be expressed. It inspired me. Made me want to be tougher. Made me want to work out. Made me want to create the family I've been missing in New York. Who knows, maybe I'm relating to movies because I'm in that place in my life, or maybe it's just that Drew Barrymore actually has skills as a director.

No comments: