Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nerdy Things That Are Kinda Awesome: Crossword Edition

Okay, so I am a nerd. I love word games, puzzles, reading, and going to bed early on a Saturday night. Lately, my new nerdy obsession has been crossword puzzles. I recently bought a book of New York Times crosswords and have been taking it everywhere with me. Yes, I know I can do these online, or on my iphone (both of which I do from time to time), but the truth of the matter is, nothing is quite the same as doing a hardcopy crossword with a pen.

Crossword puzzles make you smarter. They expand your vocabulary, and make your brain work when it hasn't in a while. You can crossword when you're eating, watching a movie, on the subway, or out for some coffee. They are a great way to pass time when you're alone (which I often am), but you can still do them together (unless you're like me, and doing that makes you feel stupid). While I've been on board with this trend for a while, I'm now noticing my friends jupming on board. In fact, it's become the way that my best friend and her boyfriend spend their days off together. And if they are taking part in it, then it may have officially entered the hipster world.

I'll admit, I am a total sucker for anyone finishing a crossword puzzle in the dark corner of a hipster bar. It makes me think, "wow, you can read," and nothing is sexier then that. Well, maybe the ability to finish a rubix cube in under five minutes while drunk, but that's a different story.....

No comments: