Thursday, November 19, 2009

RIP: Daul Kim 1989-2009



I have had supermodels on the brain today. I awoke to Doutzen Kroes tweeting non-stop about the VS Fashion Show (http://twitter.com/MissDK) which was filmed tonight in New York, or Fashionista's posting of the George Michael "Freedom" video (http://www.fashionista.com), and now there is news that Daul Kim, a Korean supermodel, has been found dead in her Paris apartment.

I may not be extremely well versed on my supermodels that are either A) post-1994, or B) not heavily involved in the VS campaign, but as I perused Daul's book on models.com, I had more then one "I know that photo" moments. While they have not officially named the cause of death, many news outlets are ruling it as a suicide.

Now, I know it's impossible to fully understand what is going on in someone's life that may make them want to kill themselves, but it almost seems more tragic when it's someone like this. Here was this 20 year old model, ranked in the top 20 models in the world, getting paid to wear haute couture, look beautiful, and stay skinny. She got to travel all the time, and have experiences so many people dream about.

It really makes you wonder, if this is happening to models, is there hope for the average person? I get paid to wait tables, I have been out of the United States fewer then five times, and I shop vintage to acquire anything cool on my budget. I guess this just proves that you never really know about someones life until you walk in their shoes.



RIP Daul Kim, your frisky and fabulous editorials, and sassy blog will be missed.

No comments: