Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hipsterville: A New Reality

Anyone who has not read the New York Times article on the falling of Williamsburg, Brooklyn real estate, go here, and please read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/nyregion/08trustafarians.html

Done? Good, now we can discuss.

I moved to Williamsburg back in September. My roommate and I share a good-sized, moderately priced two bedroom railroad apartment on the outskirts of Williamsburg (technically we are a Greenpoint zip code). At the tender age of 22, I have recently become financially independent. Yup! I pay all my own bills. Walking around Williamsburg, I realized that I was pretty much alone in this, and this article only proves a point.

I understand helping your children out and all, but is it really necessary to shell out $1,500-$2,500 a month in doing so? Or how about paying the hundreds of thousands of dollars of a down-payment on an apartment for them?

I'm a midwest girl, parents make good money, have supported me through university, but I am disgusted by Northeasterns (not all, but it seems like a good amount). I meet all these kids who have no sense of what it is like to work, or make anything of themselves. And ya know what? I. Don't. Get. It. Sure, I have friends like this where I'm from, but even they'll attest to the fact that while that may be how it is, that's not how they always want it to be.

It's sad to say, but some of the people in Williamsburg make me sad to belong to this generation.

No comments: