Monday, June 15, 2009

Hipster Must-See: Moon

Okay, so I rarely go to movies in New York City. This is for two reasons, the first is that movies always take some sort of planning, making sure I'm getting to the theater on time, what theater to go to, and my life doesn't always accommodate planning. The second reason is with $12 price tags, I can't always bring myself to spend the money.

Well, due to recent drunkface activities, I've decided to give the movie going lifestyle a second chance. This morning I went to see Moon, starring the amazing Sam Rockwell. Upon never having seen any real previews of this movie, I was under the impression that it had something to do with aliens, and I guess in a way it did, but maybe it's the fact that I was misinformed that has caused me to lack a decisive yay or nay about the film.

Essentially it felt like The Parent Trap, except instead of twins, we had clones, and instead of parents, we had the government/space agency, and instead of summer camp we had the moon. It was definitely different from anything I've seen in a while, and Sam Rockwell gives an amazing performance, and I don't mind staring at one of him, so two? Okay, I'm on board. Finally, Kevin Spacey as the voice of the robot, priceless, I'm reminded of falling rose petals all over again.

I suppose that Moon is one of those movies that if you're into Sci-Fi, you'll probably enjoy, or if you just have nothing better to do on a lazy afternoon. Maybe I'll change my opinion tomorrow however, I think this movie will need some time to digest.

No comments: