Monday, March 16, 2009

Why I Can't Read "Chick-Lit" Novels

Okay, I am constantly exposing my close friends to new authors and books. Anyone that knows me knows that I love to read. Magazines, periodicals, gossip sites, fashion blogs, classic literature, everything. However, there is one type of book I usually stray away from. That is the so-called Chick-Lit novel.

Perhaps it's the fact that I pride myself and reading rather masculine literature, or that I secretly have a dream of reading an Ellis novel and seeing a gorgeous brooding male across the coffee shop reading the same novel and we'd be forever linked by our love of literature, or maybe it's just that I always claim to not be that girly.

Well, to humor a good friend, I recently read Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger. The story is about Bette, a newcomer to the New York City PR scene. This good friend of mine thought it would be an appropriate title for me considering my internship in entertainment PR. Knowing I would never willingly go buy this book myself, within days of recommendation, she had thrust her copy into my hands. Now I remember the real reason I don't even buy these books.

They are too damn wonderful and addicting. I couldn't put it down. Literally, I had thoughts of skipping work in order to read this book. And the worst part, the entire time I really just wanted that to be my life. I loved to drama, the name dropping, the fashion references, and most importantly, the love story. Feminist I may be, but nothing gets to me like a happy ending.

So, I may not be filling my bookshelves with Chick-Lit novels from this day forward, but I'm definitely not ruling any of them out. Turns out, I may be much more feminine then I give myself credit for. But, let's keep this between you and me, because if any of my guy friends find out, I'll have to endure hours of "I told you so." ;)

No comments: