Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Style Inspiration: Mad Men

I have been a bit apprehensive about doing a style post pertaining to Mad Men for quite some time now.  This is mostly due to the slew of fashionista bloggers out there worshipping both the style of Betty and Don Draper alike.  But, with the season premiere just around the corner, I thought it was time to honour the show that has given me fashion inspiration before I even watched it.  And what an appropriate way to celebrate my 100th post!

You see, I have been a collector of vintage clothing for ages, and it just so happens that the hourglass waistlines and full skirts look pretty tremendous on me, so the late 50s and early 60s style has been a go-to of mine for years.

I adore the flower print dresses, and on more than one occasion I have claimed to wanting to dress like I'm rushing a sorority circa 1962.  Pair that with some sparkly costume jewelry, clip-on earrings, or maybe an oversized cocktail ring and I'm sold.

Unfortunately, dressing like it is 1963 all the time is no longer practical in this sweltering and filthy city.  You can only get away with second skin dresses and matching heels so often.  So I steal a few touches here and there to make it more practical.  Lately, it's been all about the liquid eyeliner paired with a heavily saturated lipstick.  I'm addicted to MAC's Lady Danger (definitely my signature colour), Impassioned, Morange, and Girl About Town for these purposes.

I also love adding vintage broaches to my dresses.  I have been lucky enough to come into a few of these over the years, but you can find them on eBay for super cheap.  It probably doesn't hurt that Christina Hendricks looks absolutely phenomenal in all the 1960s styles.  No wonder Prada and Louis Vuitton both stole the 1950s/60s inspiration for their upcoming seasons!

No comments: