Friday, July 9, 2010

Hipster Must-See: Brick

I am currently spending my days working for a small, independent film production company.  One of the perks to this job is that I get to spend hour watching independent films as part of my "research."  One of the films I kept hearing about over and over again was Brick.

Rian Johnson's 2005 crime mystery has an all-star cast of up-and-coming actors including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas (both hardly up-and-coming), Emilie de Ravin, Matt O'Leary, and Nora Zehetner.  Taking inspirations from old spaghetti westerns and "Cowboy Bebop," the visuals of this film are amazing.  The plot takes cues from old crime dramas and almost has a film noir feel to it, but all set in high school.  

Brick really is a film unlike very many I've seen in recent years.  I definitely suggest you take a couple hours and watch it.  And hey, it's streaming instant on Netflix, so no excuses!


Lukas Haas plays "The Pin," and his costume was modeled after Barnaby from Dark Shadows



Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays our fierce hero and Nora Zehetner the not quite "damsel in distress"

3 comments:

Benny said...

I remember seeing this one back in 2005 and expecting it to be more over-the-top. I remember being disappointed. I don't remember the spaghetti western or cowboy bebop feel. This makes me want to watch it again and I think I will...

Alexandra Steinmetz said...

I feel as though the spaghetti western and cowboy bebop feel was more in the direction and cinematography. Maybe I'm wrong though, people can take so many different things from different films!

Camiss Lee said...

HELLO,
I'm following your blog, i like it, so this is mine: www.lolitalking.blogspot.com

if you want to take a look and follow me!!

camiss
;]