Monday, June 28, 2010

The City Cancelled?

Today on Fashionista.com, Lauren reported that there is a rumour floating around that MTV's The City will not be returning next season.  Normally, I would not address any rumours or news about reality TV, as I think most often it is a contributing fact to the decline of high-culture, but I kind of like The City, so this rumour is a disappointing one.

Unlike the first season of The City, this season has been a lot more focused on the budding careers of the four protagonists, Whitney Port, Roxy Olin, Erin Kaplan, and Olivia Palermo.  And while most of the careers are rather unbelievable (I would say all of them are reality TV based except Kaplan's), it was nice to have a show focused around women in the workplace as opposed to women in romance and friendships.

I know that The Hills had some focus on Lauren Conrad's career, but let's be perfectly honest, that show was about relationships, friendships, and drama.  And while The City isn't without any of those factors, it stood above the rest as being a show that could have a potential positive effect on the younger generations watching it.

But such is the world of MTV.  I think it's time for me to face reality...MTV has went from being a place of subversive alternative culture and programming to one of declasse consumerist filth.  The City (although still ridiculously consumerist and superficial) gave me some hope amongst a sea of My Super Sweet 16 and The Hills. 

No comments: