Thursday, June 3, 2010

My High Fidelity Inspired Life

What came first?  The music or the misery?

Sometimes, you can watch a movie a thousand times, and only during a certain point in your life will it ever really start to mean anything to you.  Yesterday, this happened to me with High Fidelity.  For those unfamiliar with the John Cusack work, it is based on Nick Hornby's book about an audiophile who rehashes past relationships through his relationship with music (this is a very simplified version of the plot, obviously).

I think I didn't really realize why I loved this movie so much until I realized that every relationship and friendship I have ever had can be defined by certain musical works.  There are friends of mine from high school that I have lost touch with, but every time I hear "The Next Episode," or "Fever for the Flava," my memories are instantly transported to being in my '93 Suburu Impreza on the way to a keg party in the woods.

Or how about those relationships where you share bands whose lyrics break your heart and beats get stuck in your head.  At the time it makes so much sense to share that love of music with that person, but you know the minute you break-up with someone you'll never be able to listen to those songs without that painful memory, feeling of loss, and sense of nostalgia.

So in honor of Cusack's character, Rob Gordon, here are my Top 5 Ex-Nostalgia Songs (some are stranger than others):


  • "Africa" by Toto-  Yes, this one is a strange song to include on the list, but my high-school sweetheart went through a period of being obsessed with this song, and to this day I cannot hear it without sending him a text to see how he's doing.  In fact, I sent him one on Monday when I was out dancing and heard it.  
  • "Only One" by Yellowcard- This song came out at a pivotal point in my young relationships.  Enough said. 
  • "1901" by Phoenix- Prior to it being in a commercial, it was a favourite song of someone I was once close to.  Every time the commercial comes on I roll my eyes and heavily sigh (which is a step up from when I used to turn the channel)
  • "Fireflies" by Owl City- The last time I saw this person I heard this song for the first time.  I thought it was the worst song I had heard in ages and couldn't believe he liked it.  It made me want to punch babies, but now it's one of my favorite memories.
  • "Dragon's Lair" by Sunset Rubdown- Off my favourite album by my favourite band.  Sometimes there are things better kept to yourself.  
It's a good thing I'm so young.  This list is sad, there will be time for it to grow.

No comments: