Saturday, January 16, 2010

New York Band to See: Animal Hands

Every so often I pretend to be well versed in music and write a review of a band.  Truth be told, I'm not great at it, but I do enjoy writing about a decent show I've seen.

Last night, I decided to check out Marcellus Hall at Union Pool here in Brooklyn, and the opening band was Animal Hands, also a Brooklyn based band.  Animal Hands, which upon first inspection sounded like an 80s John Hughes soundtrack fused with West Coast beats I've come to know and love fronted by vocals reminiscent of a 1960s man band.  Both vocally powerful and technically proficient, this band deviates from the typical Brooklyn based indie rock you grow used to hearing at local bars.

With their button up shirts and v-neck sweaters, they also didn't have the typical "hipster" appeal.  They looked like they belonged on my high schools speech and debate team.  I immediately wanted to invite them all over for pizza and Super Nintendo.


Animal Hands at Union Pool

You can download their EP Suntan for free here.

And check out some of their other songs and upcoming shows.


No comments: