Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Mary-Kate: My New Knitted Armwarmers

Since my return to New York, I have been knitting like crazy. My first project was a pair of knitted arm warmers so that most of my hand could stay warm on my way to the train, but I could still use my iPhone (yes, I'm a bit that obsessive).

I had two screw-up armwarmers before I ended up perfecting it. The first, was too big for my hand (I was following a really standard pattern, with no gauge or anything, so I'm not too surprised), and the second armwarmer ended up unravelling due to my dropping a stitch on the last row. But alas, I have done it, two semi-matching armwarmers. Sure, one feels a bit loser then the other, but hey, underneath my mittens that will hardly matter.


My super cool new armwarmers, and my badass manicure which has chipped while I typed this

The yarn was given to me a while ago by my mom's friend Erica.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with it forever, and I think my armwarmers were a perfect project.  The yarn is made from strips of recycled sari's from India.  I used size 8 bamboo needles, and the combo of the yarn and needles made me feel like a total knitting hippie.  These make me feel a bit like Mary-Kate Olsen, a bit raw and ragged, super colorful, and somewhat imperfect.



A little bit blurry, but here's a close up of my knit job

My next project?  An ice cream pint cozy.  My current detox means that I've traded in the vice of alcohol for the vice of sweets, and there has been a lot more Ben & Jerry's in my freezer then usual.  Gotta get knitting that cozy to keep my fingers from freezing off...

No comments: