Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hipster Must-See: Warriors

http://vassifer.blogs.com/
In my previous post, I discussed Walter Hill's Streets of Fire and the epic-ness that is the costuming of that film. Well, after my foray into Hill's box-office bomb, I picked up another Hill film, this time with a bit more press, The Warriors.

First off, let me just say that I can only fully appreciate this film because I live in New York. If I didn't, I just could not have even understood how epic this is. Second, if anyone knows where I can get a Warrior's vest please let me know, I think that is a necessity for my life.

So, the gangs of New York are sick of being at war, and Cyrus (leader of all that is good and righteous in the gans) calls for a cease fire between the gangs, so that they may focus their attention on much more important things, such as getting the fuzz. During the big meeting in the Bronx, Cyrus is killed, and everyone blames the Warriors. Now, the Warriors must make it from the Bronx to Coney Island via subway, with every other gang in New York after them. Joined by the Bronx Harlot, Mercy, the Warriors are up for the battle of a lifetime, only to make it to.....Coney Island. Really? That's where they want to get? Huh. Wow....I guess that's cool, that you'll battle that hard for....Coney...Island. Okay, wait, really?

So the plot is less then believable, but who cares? All the gangs where matching outfits and you're surprised when they don't break out into song and dance. Oh! And there is a gang of solely girls who use against the Warriors. Baseball bats, police battles, knife fights, undercover cops, this movie's got it all. That must be why Tony Scott is planning on remaking it in 2010.

Oh man, I gotta stop talking about this movie, it's making me want to beat people up again....and wear leather vests. Rent it, or own it, now.

No comments: