Friday, January 16, 2009

Hipster Must-See: The Wackness



I have a tendency to joyfully watch horrible movies. If it has zombies, violence, young girls being bitchy, etc., I usually enjoy rather thoroughly. I find myself needing to be in a certain mood in order to sit through a serious movie. Last night, I happened to put myself in that mood and Netflix had sent me The Wackness, so I geared up to be depressed. Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Set in New York City in 1994, The Wackness has a great plot, great acting, and a great soundtrack. Josh Peck, best known for his role in Nickolodeon's Drake and Josh pleasantly surprised me with his serious acting ability. Starring opposite Ben Kingsley, Famke Jansen, and Mary-Kate Olsen, Peck delivered a thoroughly impressive performance as a young, in-love, and genetically fucked up drug-dealer. It is safe to say that I now have a crush on him. His love interest, Olivia Thirlby, who is somewhat recognizable for her various other roles, did an amazing job as well. Rounding out the younger cast was Mary-Kate Olsen, who I seem to remember doing press across the country for this film. While she was great for the fifteen minutes she was in the film, I seemed to feel as though with all the hype of her being in the film, she really should have had a larger role, or just less publicity. Okay, I love Mary-Kate Olsen, so I really don't care either way, but it makes me hate society a little bit more.

Growing up in the late 1990s, I was too young to really take full advantage of everything a movie in 1994 could bring. I feel as though if I would've been in high-school at that time I could have appreciated the movie so much more then I did. Either way, I really enjoyed the film and would highly recommend it to any of my friends. I feel as though it is easily a film that can transcend various generations, being able to reach out to everyone.

No comments: