Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hipster Must-Read: Female Chauvinist Pigs


A male friend of mine had a copy of the book Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy in his room recently. Me being me, I picked it up and started to read and next thing I know, I was swiping this book from his place with promises to return it the next week. Less the two days later, I'm bypassing the returning of this book with hopes to share it with everyone I know, male and female.

Now, I am not a hard-core feminist. But every once and a while, a good, strong feminist piece of literature speaks to me. Levy's book focuses on the rise of raunch culture, meaning Playboy, Girls Gone Wild, and the like. She believes that due to the increase participation of women in these raunch culture arenas, we as women are no longer allowing just men to objectify us, but we are no objectifying each other and ourselves.

Well, I'm not going to go in detail about the entire book, it's far too short and a quick read for me to do that. But I am suggesting you read it. Now. Go.

It may not change your life, but it will definitely cause a greater sense of awareness at all the young, female stupidity around you. It's worth a shot, right?

No comments: