Monday, December 22, 2008

Authors I Love: Charles Bukowski

So I'm probably not really qualified to write an entire blog on Bukowski. I honestly don't know that much about the fellow. My Bukowski experiences are limited to two. The first involves me being rather liquored up, on my friend Kile's mattress in his uber-bohemian place, while he read me Bukowski and we listened to Connor Oberst. The second, culminates as of yesterday with my completion of Ham on Rye .

It didn't take me long to finish Ham on Rye and I think that's what I liked about it. It may also have been that it was a rather easy break from pages and pages of Palahniuk that can get a bit complex at times. Bukowski is pretty straight forward, no sugar coating necessary, and at least in this instance, he takes on a rather masculine tone, which I seem to handle better then reading the Bronte sisters. Romantic, I am not.

I also loved the ability to read Bukowski on the train and not have to stop in the middle of a chapter when I reached my stop. In fact, I'm considering buying a Bukowski novel for a poet friend of mine for Christmas, who doesn't like to read because he claims that books cannot hold his attention span long enough for him to finish them. Either way, I think that I'll read Bukowski again in the future, though I may need a slight break from all that craziness.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......