Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hipster Must-See: The Fall

I rarely have time to watch movies right now.  Between my internship, working full time, and the copious amounts of reading I've been doing, my usual love of movies has taken the backseat.  However, I had an opportunity to watch Tarsem Singh's The Fall a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about it.

The Fall is a period piece about a stuntman in 1920's Los Angeles that, while in a hospital, starts telling stories to another patient (a 5 year old immigrant named Alexandria).  Without going into too much detail, the real world they are living in begins to bleed into the fantasy world he is creating.

But who really cares about the plot?  What really matters is that this is one of the most visually stunning films I have watched in a very long time.  Having been shot in over 26 locations in 18 different countries, the beauty of this film is unparalleled.  It takes on a surrealist feel that is reminiscent of Dali and Buñuel, with the color palette of Burton.

The visuals in this movie were worth the two hours of my life.






1 comment:

vmichelle said...

Thanks for reminding me of this movie! I really enjoyed it. Definitely beautiful visually and different. Not your usual blah, blah movie.