Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Suffering in the Snow

So I've recently moved back to Kalispell, MT after finishing a three and a half year stint at the University of Victoria in British Columbia. While in my first few years of university, the prospect of returning to this valley that I called home for so many years seemed wonderfully inviting. However, now forced with the idea of living here (in vain) for the next few months until I decide what direction my life should take, I am left feeling utterly destroyed and miserable. Don't worry, I'm not about to put on some MCR and find a dark corner to cry in, I am, however, going to figure out any and every way in which I may be able to leave this desolate place in search of something bigger and better.

I finally realize why so many people around here get married and start families at the tender age of 20. There is simply nothing better to do. Unless you are a nurse, or perhaps an accountant, there is no real job market here. We don't have exciting events coming through town, hell, our theater hasn't even gotten Sweeney Todd yet. The most exciting thing for a young person to do is go to the local watering hole and get lubricated (maybe things aren't so different from Victoria after all). Granted, the difference between Kalispell and a college town is that when you go out here, it's like a high school reunion. At least if I continue visiting the bars here I won't have to worry about returning to my high school years from now to see everyone.

No comments: