Monday, January 21, 2008

FASHION AVAILABILITY: WHEN IS LUXURY MERELY A CONVENIENCE?


Recently, in the article “Fakes are Never in Fashion,” on Styledash.com, the book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost it’s Luster, was referenced. Although I have not yet read the book, from the reviews I gather that it is a piece of muckraking journalism (I use this as a term of endearment) on the luxury goods market.

Although I agree with the fact that counterfeit accessories will help lead to the decline of the luxury goods market, other sources of “luxury” leave me questioning the future of the market. Mainly, big box stores like TJ Maxx and Ross Dress for Less that offer brand name luxury at a low, low price.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good bargain as much as the next person, but when I step into one of these stores no longer do I find brand name luxury at a low price, I find brand name luxury being brought to trend followers in small towns. For example, after the Dooney and Bourke Charm bags became a huge hit, TJ Maxx started carrying the bags in a variety of styles…about a year later. I do not have a problem with bags being from a former season, or bags being available to those in small towns. What leaves me feeling uneasy after a trip to a luxury box store, is the legions of 13 and 14 year old girls who spend their allowance on the bags.

After seeing tweens strutting through the malls complete in their Abercrombie and Fitch denim skirts, UGG boots, topped off with a D&B or Coach bag, it makes me want to abandon my previous love of the status symbol bag.* I guess my question is whether or not I am alone in this? With the availability of “high-fashion” status available to tween girls around the country, does it lose it’s appeal for those of us who truly love high fashion?


* Personal Anecdote: After hearing “I LOVE YOUR BAG” in response to my Vuitton classic canvas bag by a 12-year-old girl in my mom’s office, I have nearly abandoned carrying it. A tragic tale, but I can’t bring myself to carry a bag that even a tween worships.

No comments: